Friday, June 12, 2009

Praying for America

A friend of mine sent me a great link about (not) praying for America, available here.

Then in my daily reading I came across II Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
Call it serendipity, an act of the universe, or complete random chance if you will. I call it God trying to tell me something.

I've heard that verse quoted at least a hundred times, and always in the context of restoring America to what it used to be, and either receive His blessing or avoid His judgment. But having just read that article I realized that it is not applicable in the case of America. It's "my people, which are called by my name" and not "my people, who call on my name." There is only one "people" who are called by God's name, and that's Israel. Meaning this verse has exactly nothing to do with America. In fact, if you go back one verse you will see that God is actually saying if He causes a drought, or swarms of locusts, or disease, the promise of verse 14 kicks in. I just don't see the application to the moral or spiritual state of a nation.

Better to pray that you are living inside God's will and that He will use you to accomplish His purpose. Given that there is no place in end times prophecy for the United States, I think we are actually witnessing the unfolding of His will in the modern decline of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment