Thursday, June 18, 2009

God's sense of humor

Some people wonder if God has a sense of humor. I don't have to wonder, because God likes to play jokes on me. For example, every time I mow my lawn and go to blow the clippings off the sidewalk, the wind blows back at me so the clippings all fly back toward me. No matter which way I turn to blow them, the wind follows me. After a couple minutes I'll stop, turn my eyes up, and say "OK, very funny, do you mind if I finish this now?" Then the wind dies down and I can get the clippings where I'm supposed to go. And I always get an image of Jesus chuckling to Himself, saying "that never gets old!"

You can also find some rather pointed sarcasm from God in Numbers 11:18-20:
18And say to the people, 'Consecrate yourselves for tomorrow, and you shall eat meat, for you have wept in the hearing of the LORD, saying, "Who will give us meat to eat? For it was better for us in Egypt." Therefore the LORD will give you meat, and you shall eat. 19You shall not eat just one day, or two days, or five days, or ten days, or twenty days, 20but a whole month, until it comes out at your nostrils and becomes loathsome to you, because you have rejected the LORD who is among you and have wept before him, saying, "Why did we come out of Egypt?"
"Here, you want meat? I'll give you so much meat it will come out your nose. You'll hate meat by the time I'm done with you." That never gets old!

No comments:

Post a Comment